Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pene
Beta tester
Beta tester   

PostPosted: Thu 03 Aug 2006, 00:32 Reply with quote

Hello,

Thank you for the great software!

I would like to ask if a Universal Binary version (for Intel Macs) is planned, and in case it is in the works, perhaps there is perhaps a testing version of it?

Thanks!
Jerome
Administrator
Administrator   

PostPosted: Thu 03 Aug 2006, 14:14 Reply with quote

Hello pene.

Sorry, no UB version, and I do not working on.
For many reasons:
- I do not have Intel Macintosh.
- The PowerPC version should work with Roseta. I did not test but I do not see why it should not. Did you ?
- make an UB version is really a very hard work. All data in a DVD are in big endien. make an UB means add many test on all data access to swap bytes (in the easiest cases). That means, check all my source code (about 20000 lines).

Jerome
pene
Beta tester
Beta tester   

PostPosted: Thu 03 Aug 2006, 20:09 Reply with quote

Dear Jérôme,

Thank you for the fast answer!

Yes, it works with Rosetta, but very very slowly. I am using a 1.66 Ghz Duo processor, and it takes about 20-30 seconds till the application loads, and also responses inside the application are very slow. That's why I asked about a UB.

Thanks,
Pene
Jerome
Administrator
Administrator   

PostPosted: Thu 03 Aug 2006, 20:27 Reply with quote

I will study the question

Jerome
pene
Beta tester
Beta tester   

PostPosted: Sat 05 Aug 2006, 23:12 Reply with quote

Thanks
pene
Beta tester
Beta tester   

PostPosted: Wed 09 Aug 2006, 21:55 Reply with quote

Hi again,

Another problem i'm experiencing on my Intel Mac with myDVDEdit is random crashes.
Without anything specific i do, myDVDEdit suddenly terminates, sometimes giving the "application has unexpectedly quit" error, something not even giving any message.

Thanks again,
Pene
vovtz

PostPosted: Fri 18 Aug 2006, 22:33 Reply with quote

Pene wrote:

Quote:
Hi again,

Another problem i'm experiencing on my Intel Mac with myDVDEdit is random crashes. Without anything specific i do, myDVDEdit suddenly terminates, sometimes giving the "application has unexpectedly quit" error, something not even giving any message.

Thanks again,
Pene

Well... I have been too lazy to post a bug report before, but now that you seem to think that the random crashes are caused by Rosetta, I feel the need to speak up Wink

I use an iMac G5 and since myDVDEdit 0.9.8 I have been experiencing a lot of crashes. The number of crashes lowered a bit with revision 35, but they are still very common. On most DVDs I change quite a bit more than the average user, I'm sure (customarily removing all warnings, most logos, all auto-starting trailers etc., after which I adjust all menus for the missing parts; for a DVD9 I will remove all trailers, all extras and all dubbed languages, director's comments etc. and then change all the menus accordingly). So you can imagine me using myDVDEdit a lot (that's why I paid a contribution), among other tools such as VOBBlanker (which unfortunately needs the ultraslow Virtual PC). Therefore I probably encounter bugs other people don't, but it's a lot of hard work reporting them... Wink

First thing I noticed about version 0.9.8 was that it is much, much slower at displaying the video in the preview window. And, interestingly from the viewpoint of a bug hunter, it slows down a bit more with every cell shown, yes even with every frame that you preview! After selecting a certain number of cells (either previewing them on purpose or just because after selecting a cell it will be loaded automatically in the preview window, at its start position) the program will crash. And because I do this heavy editing of DVDs, it means that on average I will crash 4 times with every DVD! Certainly teached me how to use the Cmd-S button after any and every change! Sad (Jérôme, I saved a lot of crash reports, so if you want them I'm happy to email them to you; on the other hand, most of them look alike: the last command performed in the crashing thread is almost always 'objc_msgSend'. You know what: I'll start by posting one in the bug reporting section of the forum right after finishing this message.)

That's why I'm quite sure that your crashes are not unique for the Intel/Rosetta. It appears that in version 0.9.8 some system resource, used for the preview, is not freed afterwards and therefore the heap is growing too big or something similar.

In order to improve my 'workflow' (if you can call it that for a hobby) I have adapted to always opening the DVD that I'm working on in both version 0.9.8 and 0.9.7 at the same time. I use the older version in debug mode and am thus able to relatively quickly preview (although be it still not in real time) the cells that pass by, without crashing. Then, when I encounter a cell I want to remove, I switch to 0.9.8 and change the necessary parts (merging post commands with the pre commands, removing a few of the cells etc.). After that I immediately save and continue previewing the cell sequences in the older version. After the first round of changes I reload in 0.9.7 (carefully avoiding to use the menu with the mouse Sad, instead I use the Cmd-O button) and run it through in debug mode to check for any errors, going to 0.9.8, if necessary, for corrections.

Even though I hit a lot less cells in 0.9.8 working as described above, it will still occasionaly crash. That makes me wonder why no one else has reported this very buggy behaviour of 0.9.8 before (except for you): might it be because on the home page of 'mydvdedit.com' 0.9.7 is still listed as the most recent version and therefore many users haven't switched yet? Or is it really what Jérôme has suggested before in one of the forums, that myDVDEdit has a very small customer base? To be completely honest I am really bothered by the buggy operation of 0.9.8, but I still love myDVDEdit, because it's hundreds of times more elegant and user-friendly than tools like IFOEdit and PGCEdit. Well, and since I was too lazy to file a bug report before, I really can't complain, can I? Wink Wink

So, sorry for the long delay and I hope this is going to be helpful in locating the cause.
Jerome
Administrator
Administrator   

PostPosted: Tue 29 Aug 2006, 23:48 Reply with quote

Hi all.

I'm back (holidays).

Thanks for your comment vovtz,
My problem is, I haven't any beta-tester, so I am alone to test each version (that takes a very long time) and of course, I do not find all the bugs.

I will start, soon, a beta tester program (for the futur 1.0 version). I will open a beta-tester reserved forum, with a reserved access to the last alpha/beta versions, and may be a mailling list.
I would be charmed if you agreed to take part in it.

Good news:
I worked hard these last weeks and myDVDEdit is now UB Smile

Jerome
adesir

PostPosted: Wed 30 Aug 2006, 21:11 Reply with quote

Hi,

Jérôme wrote:
I worked hard these last weeks and myDVDEdit is now UB Smile

That's really good news! Smile

Antoine
pene
Beta tester
Beta tester   

PostPosted: Tue 12 Sep 2006, 22:59 Reply with quote

Indeed, very good news!

Jérôme, I would also like, if you agree, to participate in beta testing the new UB version. In fact, I can't wait to test it Smile

Thanks,
Pene
Jerome
Administrator
Administrator   

PostPosted: Tue 12 Sep 2006, 23:04 Reply with quote

I have to finish a important part of the next version and I will make a beta testing program in place.

It should not be very long.

Jerome
pene
Beta tester
Beta tester   

PostPosted: Tue 12 Sep 2006, 23:08 Reply with quote

Thanks Jérôme, I hope I will be able to help by testing and finding problems Smile

By the way, is v0.98 available as a UB or just the new version (1.0)?
Jerome
Administrator
Administrator   

PostPosted: Tue 12 Sep 2006, 23:16 Reply with quote

Neither one, nor the other.

Not the 0.9.8 any more, and not the 1.0 yet because missing to many functions.

I think I could propose a 0.9.9 with UB, soon.

Jerome
pene
Beta tester
Beta tester   

PostPosted: Wed 13 Sep 2006, 00:01 Reply with quote

That would be great, thanks!
Reply to topic All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Forum Index -> Questions Page 1 of 1

Jump to: