VideoHelp
Forum Mac-Video

Split DVD to 2 DVD-R
Forum Index -> Questions
Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mamo

PostPosted: Thu 15 Jun 2006, 22:44 Reply with quote

Well awsome tool this little baby. Thanks Jérôme.

I wanted to split a 7.6 GB DVD into two DVD-r. So i figured copy it twice.

In copy one: delete the VTS_01_5.VOB and following so it would fit onto one DVD-R.
Check in copy one at which chapter the VTS_01_4.VOB ends (say chapter 19).

in Copy two: set the jump from the root menu from chapter 1 to the one found in copy one (here chapter 19).
Save and exit mydvdedit.

Playing copy two works perfectly. Movie starts with chapter 19.

Now I deleted The vts_01_02, vts_01_03 but not the vts_01_01 since it holds the root menu, as far as i understood.

However, when i try to play copy two the mac dvd player won't play and crashes.
Opening mydvdedit again, it says errors accured and were fixed, if i debug i find that no chapter, menu, pcs are at the correct "jmp position" anymore.

Is there any way to do the trick? What did i miss?
mamo.
Jerome
Administrator
Administrator   

PostPosted: Fri 16 Jun 2006, 01:52 Reply with quote

Hi,

It cannot works.
VTS_01_0.IFO contains many references to sectors in the VOB files. If you remove a VOB, all that references are wrong. Only a tool that fixe these references can be use (like the future 1.0 version). Until that, the only solution is to extract the title, split it with MPEG Streamclip, and create two new DVDs.

Jerome

PS: the menu is in VTS_01_0.VOB
mamo

PostPosted: Fri 16 Jun 2006, 10:29 Reply with quote

Well that is what i figured. ( The vts_01_0 is the root. I read your docu. It was a typo.)
So i will be waiting until 1.0 Smile

Three more things:
a) why do you use "chapter" in the drop down menus as jump destinations but call the tab in VTS 1 "cell"
b) could you display which "chapter/cell" (the prgm, cells etc.) is retained in which .vob?
c) when the prog loads up and finds errors, would it be possible to access those and see where they are and what was corrected?

Furthermore in the the debugging mode, some tool tips are stil in french despite the rest beeing english Smile

Anyway keep up the excellent work.

mamo
Jerome
Administrator
Administrator   

PostPosted: Fri 16 Jun 2006, 21:42 Reply with quote

mamo wrote:
why do you use "chapter" in the drop down menus as jump destinations but call the tab in VTS 1 "cell"

Because this tab contains all the cells of the PGC Smile . Sometimes, but not necessarily, a cell can be a program, and sometimes, a program can be a chapter.
Commands depends from where you use them. For exemple, a jump to a title can only be done from a VTS Menu. a jump to a other cell is not a Jump command, but a Link, and only a link to a cell in the same VTS (or VMG) can be done.
mamo wrote:

b) could you display which "chapter/cell" (the prgm, cells etc.) is retained in which .vob?

A chapter can contain programs, which can contain cells, which can contain objects, which can contain sectors of bytes (1 sector = 2048 bytes). two sectors of the same object are not necessarily in the same VOB. The only things sure are, a sector is always complete, and a VOB file cannot exceed 1GB (524288 sectors).
You can know where is located a object if you select it and leave the mouse 2s on the object position, at the top of the screen.
mamo wrote:
c) when the prog loads up and finds errors, would it be possible to access those and see where they are and what was corrected?

Not really. myDVDEdit do the maximum of tests to verify data are not corrupted, but sometimes, it is impossible. Even your DVD player crash in this cases.
Quote:
Furthermore in the the debugging mode, some tool tips are stil in french despite the rest beeing english

Could you specify, I will fixe them.

Jerome
mamo

PostPosted: Sun 18 Jun 2006, 21:12 Reply with quote

Thanks for the long explanation. It seems it will be easier to wait for your 1.0 version, than to spend endless hours trying to manipulate my dvd Smile However i was astonished how much one can already do with your tool. If it was possible to manipulate the disc as described above without messing up the contents of disc two. it would be appreciated Smile

Jérôme:
Quote:
Could you specify, I will fixe them.

All buttons in Zone 5 when switching to debug. eg. pas a pas, executer bouton, continuer ...

mamo.
Windsor
Advanced Member
Advanced Member   

PostPosted: Fri 30 Jun 2006, 19:53 Reply with quote

Hello Jerome:
I thought to ask you this question, since even my computer repair man couldn't figure out.
I made a copy of a movie, by ripping it with MTR and then ran it through the myDVDEdit, change the title jump to 1. With Popcorn 2, I burned the Ritek dual layered DVD with LaCie d2.

The first few minutes, say, 3, was OK, and then the DVD player of my Mac (PowerBook G4) froze! I pushed the -> to skip the chapter, it did skip. But when I came back to that same spot, the frame froze again. I tried to play it on LaCie d2, it froze at the same clip.

When I bought Verbatim Dual Layer DVD and burned the same movie again. I tried on my laptop, it froze!! When I tried on LaCie, it did not freeze!! I also played the DVD Player to watch the ripped version on my hard drive (not from the DVDs) it did not freeze.

Can you help?

Thanks,
Windsor
Jerome
Administrator
Administrator   

PostPosted: Sun 02 Jul 2006, 02:35 Reply with quote

Hello Windsor,

You tried to burn the original DVD (without any change through myDVDEdit). I think you would have the same problems.

You should try DVDImager to create a DVD image disk, and than burn it with the Apple Disk Utilities application. I always have good result with this.

Jerome
Windsor
Advanced Member
Advanced Member   

PostPosted: Mon 03 Jul 2006, 19:04 Reply with quote

Jerome:
Thanks for the information on DVDImager. However, I downloaded a trial version of it. And found out that it is ONLY for Windows!! And not for Mac. Where did you get your Mac version?

Windsor
adesir

PostPosted: Mon 03 Jul 2006, 19:43 Reply with quote

Hello,

You will find it here: http://lonestar.utsa.edu/llee/applescript/DVD_Imager_1.5.dmg

Antoine
Windsor
Advanced Member
Advanced Member   

PostPosted: Tue 04 Jul 2006, 00:05 Reply with quote

Thanks,
By the time you answered me, I found it through Google, and followed Jerome's directions. And the result was the same! Still the frame froze, especifically chapter 5.
I am beginning to think that the original might have been currupted. I don't know. I need to investigate into this a little more.

Thanks anyway for all the help.

Windsor
Windsor
Advanced Member
Advanced Member   

PostPosted: Tue 08 Aug 2006, 01:55 Reply with quote

Adesir:

I just discovered a way to get rid of the freezing clips.

When I run Disk Utilities and fix permissions, the same movie that froze on me, this time didn't.

When there is a bad error message on Mac the Ripper, that says: BAD SECTOR! This disc has bad sectors. All though (I guess it should say: although) the rip is complete, the rip may not playback. Please check prior to burning.

I didn't know how to check prior to burning. But with using Disk Utilities and fixing the permissions. Then I ran MTR, then myDVDEdit, to set the title to 1, and it did not fix any errors. I watched it on DVD Player, and the spot that froze, didn't. Thus I knew it was the permission problem.

I thought you and everyone, who's reading, might benifit from this discovery.

Windsor
Reply to topic All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Forum Index -> Questions Page 1 of 1

Jump to: