Forum Mac-Video

Modify default button with myDVDEdit
Forum Index -> Questions
Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Piero

PostPosted: Sat 27 May 2006, 09:05 Reply with quote

First of all, very impressive work!
And I have my first question, for sure because I have no experience in DVD structure.

I want to modify the default button that appears in menus of a DVD created by iDVD: as you probably know there is no control in iDVD over this and sometimes results are quite random (every menu has a different default, never the top button...)

So I followed the instructions: copied the VIDEO_TS folder to the Desktop, changed all permissions within the folder to read/write. I made a test that worked: with VMG Menu selected I could move one button (the invisible rectangle) in the Buttons area with Edit, and use it in the DVD Player.

But I could do nothing with the selection of the default button.
I presumed the default button is identified by the "First Number" value in the Buttons area.
What I did: the button was not defined (dash), I changed it, saved, but whatever value I put (-,1,2,3 - buttons in that menu are 3) both the DVD Player and myDVDEdit itself always start from the original button.
So my questions are:
- First Number is supposed to identify the default button selected in a menu ?
- if so what I'm doing wrong ?
- what's the use of "Numerical" right below ?

Thanks a lot
Piero
Jerome
Administrator
Administrator   

PostPosted: Sat 27 May 2006, 11:40 Reply with quote

Hi piero.

As always with the DVD format, is not so simple.

- First number is the number of the first button (not the default) in the button list. If you change this number, the risk is nothing works anymore. If you set this option to 2, that's meens that button 1 cannot works anymore. That's the theory. In the fact, many DVD player cannot use it Smile, so why display this option ? because it exist.

- Numerical is the number of button that can be change with the numerical buttons of your remote control. If you have 3 buttons and set Numerical to 1, only button 1 can be select with the button 1 of the remote control.

To set the default button, one solution is to change the 'Force Selection' option but the annoying thing is that selection is set each time the cell is played. That's meens, if the cell is a 10 s movie, the selection is reset to the forced button each 10s. That can be a good solution if the menu is not a movie but a picture with a infinite still time.

To set the default button, 99% of the DVD use the commands, so you have to find a command like "HighlightedButton = R0" or "HighlightedButton = 2048". the default button can be set with many other commands, like "Link ..."
If you want change the default button, just add "HighlightedButton = xxxx" in the Pre-cmds with xxxx = button number * 1024. You do not need to calculate that, myDVDEdit do it for you if you use the popup menu of the command editor.

Jerome
Piero

PostPosted: Sun 28 May 2006, 13:39 Reply with quote

Hi Jérôme.

Thank you for your explanations.
Following your instructions I could modify the default button.
I did all modifications to a R/W copy of the VIDEO_TS folder on my desktop, and I tested the results by running DVD Player and selecting that folder

But now I ran into a new problem:
How can I modify the VIDEO_TS folder of the disk image it comes from ?
Obviously, I just want to burn a real DVD, using the modified image.

I tried in the image itself, but it is read/only and I don't see a way to modify permissions.
I tried building a new image with DiskUtility, but it seems to be in the wrong format (I used all correct parameters: 4.7 GB DVD-R, no encryption, but the result is MacOS Extended) and DVD Player doesn't see it as a DVD image (just the VIDEO_TS folder in it).

I'm sure the solution is simple. Please give me some hints.
Thanks again
Piero
Jerome
Administrator
Administrator   

PostPosted: Sun 28 May 2006, 16:00 Reply with quote

look here

Jerome
Piero

PostPosted: Sun 28 May 2006, 16:50 Reply with quote

OK, thanks for the link.
In fact I had found it myself and tried burning with LiquidCD.
I used burn, Format: UDF. I guess this is the right option.

Now I have a strange behaviour: the new DVD works well with all default buttons modified (5, 1 for each of 5 menus) in the Mac. But it does not in my Panasonic DVD S35 Player.
This is what happens in the Panasonic:
- basically all menus are OK, and the default buttons now those I chose with Set Highlighted
- but whenever I select any button that should start playing some chapter or the full movie, the player goes to Stop, no movie appears, in some cases I had to extract and reinsert the DVD to unlock the player...
It seems that those simple command Set Highlighted in the Pre cmds the get the Panasonic confuse, so it never finds the video material - but not with the Mac DVD Player that works flawlessly!

Can you help me also in this ? Probably some other option should be fixed with myDVDEdit.
Some additional notes:
- I tested with both a DVD-RW and DVD-R (4.7GB) - same result
- after the first test I tried again starting from scratch: copying everything from the original DVD image, and adding only the 5 Set Highlighted (the first time I had played a bit with myDEDEdit, so I could have made some unwanted changes) - same result
- some specs: iMac G5 20" 2.1 GHz - 1.5 GB RAM 500+ GB FW disks
- using Final Cut Express 3.5, iMovie HD 5, iDVD 5
- iDVD 5 created the original image I started from; I don't know how much this complies with the DVD standards - but it usually works
- I never had this behavior with the Panasonic so far; it seems to work since other DVDs (not modified with myDVDEdit) still play correctly

One more hint: I did NOT change back the VIDEO_TS permissions to read/only after myDVDEdit and before burning with LiquidCD. But I don't see how it could affect this.

Or, could be Liquid CD doing something strange ? the format ?

Thanks a lot for your attention, I hope you can help me out of this...

Piero
Jerome
Administrator
Administrator   

PostPosted: Tue 30 May 2006, 01:05 Reply with quote

I really dont know what can be the problem.
- may be a new bug I never saw.
- may be a DVD burning problem.

could you try to burn a DVD from the VIDEO_TS folder BEFORE any change with myDVDEdit and tell me if the problem appear.
If not, duplicate the folder, edit the DVD, add the commands, and tell me if you have the problem.

if you only have the problem after the DVD edition, it should be a myDVDEdit bug. In this case, send me the two folders but without the VOB files (only the IFO and BUP files) to the address :
jerome at mydvdedit dot com.

if you have the same problem before the edition, it should be a burn problem. or a LiquidCD burning problem.

Jerome
Piero

PostPosted: Tue 30 May 2006, 21:46 Reply with quote

Thanks for answering.
I'll try what you suggest and let you know.
Piero

PostPosted: Tue 30 May 2006, 23:58 Reply with quote

I did as you suggest, and the result is clear: the problem is NOT with your myDVDEdit, but with LiquidCD (or Panasonic player) since both the original and the modified version behave the same. The navigation across menus works but whenever I try to start playback of any title or chapter the Panasonic goes to stop (while my iMac DVD Player has no problem).

So thank you very much for your help. And your program works very well.

I'm just wondering now which solution I could use without buying Toast... but that's another story.

Piero
Jerome
Administrator
Administrator   

PostPosted: Wed 31 May 2006, 00:07 Reply with quote

OK.

But may be it's not LiquidCD. It can be many things.
Did you try the 1x burning, sometime it works better.

You could try too DVDImager (free) to create a DVD image disk, and than burn it with the Apple Disk Utilities application.

Jerome
Piero

PostPosted: Wed 31 May 2006, 00:22 Reply with quote

OK I'm downloading DVD Imager and I'll try it ... tomorrow.

About the burning speed: I burned at 1x since I used DVD-RW for the tests.
But yesterday I tried also a DVD-R (4x Apple) with the same results.
And so far I never had burning problems with DVD-R or DVD-RW: both always worked on my Panasonic as well. So I'm curious to see what happens with DVD Imager...

Piero
Piero

PostPosted: Wed 31 May 2006, 23:54 Reply with quote

DVD Imager works!
And so I could also see my modifications made with your myDVDEdit working!

Jérôme, thanks so much for your help.

Piero
Jerome
Administrator
Administrator   

PostPosted: Wed 31 May 2006, 23:56 Reply with quote

Greate, good news.

You welcome !

Jerome
Reply to topic All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Forum Index -> Questions Page 1 of 1

Jump to: