Splitting Cells
Forum Index -> Questions
Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
neville
Advanced Member
Advanced Member   

PostPosted: Sat 01 Aug 2009, 05:37 Reply with quote

I would like to take a one-cell pgc and split it into two (not just add a second cell to the first one). I don't see that myDVDEdit can do this (unless I'm mistaken). What's involved, besides somehow updating the .VOB's .IFO?

And if not possible with mDE, any suggestions? (If the pgc were a title, I could probably could convert the title from .MPEG-2 to .dv, do my splits in iMovie, re-encode in MPEG-2, and swap the new title for the old single-cell one.)

Thanks,

Neville
•DVDRem 4.5.1 • DTox 2.3.0 • myDVDEdit
Jerome
Administrator
Administrator   

PostPosted: Sat 01 Aug 2009, 09:21 Reply with quote

neville wrote:
I would like to take a one-cell pgc and split it into two (not just add a second cell to the first one). I don't see that myDVDEdit can do this (unless I'm mistaken). What's involved, besides somehow updating the .VOB's .IFO?

You are not mistaken. You cannot do it. It's a very complicated operation because a cell is a array of Objects (VOBU) and each object refer to the others (for forwards and backwards).

neville wrote:
And if not possible with mDE, any suggestions? (If the pgc were a title, I could probably could convert the title from .MPEG-2 to .dv, do my splits in iMovie, re-encode in MPEG-2, and swap the new title for the old single-cell one.)

Exactly.
Slipt a cell means create a chapter. If you add a chapter marker in iMovie, you cell will be splited. If you split the movie in iMovie, you will have two titles.

Jerome
neville
Advanced Member
Advanced Member   

PostPosted: Tue 04 Aug 2009, 06:10 Reply with quote

Jérôme wrote:
You cannot do it. It's a very complicated operation because a cell is a array of Objects (VOBU) and each object refer to the others (for forwards and backwards).
Thanks for your reply Jerome; no better person to get the word from.

Actually I was thinking that it might be possible to to do the slicing at the head of each Object, at the "I image". (I'm assuming that these Objects are discrete items, even though once the decoding gets under way, the whole process is, as you describe, very fluid, with backward and forward referencing.)

It's not complicated to do the splitting/cropping in .dv, using QT Pro, and VisualHub for the roundtrip to .dv. Visual Hub then encodes with with its on .BUP and .IFO. From there, it's a Desktop swap of the old and new .VOBs, plus a little bit of integration and clean-up with myDVDEdit.

And I'm really only talking about 60-second pgcs in which the warnings (to cut) and the movie house video trademarks (to keep) are bundled into one indivisible pgc.

thanks again,

neville
•DVDRem 4.5.1 • DTox 2.3.0 • myDVDEdit
Reply to topic All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Forum Index -> Questions Page 1 of 1

Jump to: