Forum Mac-Video

Cost to complete myDVDEdit ?
Forum Index -> Questions
Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TV

PostPosted: Sun 13 Nov 2005, 20:54 Reply with quote

Jérôme,

1. What would it cost in terms of money, people and other resources to complete myDVDEdit as a commercial product, in order to implement all the features you have planned to meet your desire of myDVDEdit being to DVD what ResEdit is to Macintosh programs?

2. Do you have a time estimate?

3. Would that version of myDVDEdit address the complete DVD-Video Specification? If not, do you have a list of the features that remain, and have an estimate of time and resources necessary to finish a full DVD-Spec version?

4. Have you looked into the requirements of making myDVDEdit compatible with Apple's Universal Binary Programming Guidelines to enable running on upcoming MacIntel machines?

Regards,

- TV
Jerome
Administrator
Administrator   

PostPosted: Mon 14 Nov 2005, 01:18 Reply with quote

Hi TV

TV wrote:
1. What would it cost in terms of money, people and other resources to complete myDVDEdit as a commercial product, in order to implement all the features you have planned to meet your desire of myDVDEdit being to DVD what ResEdit is to Macintosh programs?

I'm not sure myDVDEdit would be a day a commercial product. I work alone, apart from my real work. So it will make many time before myDVDEdit implement all the features. It's not question of money, just question of availability.

TV wrote:
2. Do you have a time estimate?

Really hard to say.
I had plans, but they are outdated now. My personnal and professional situation, and the build of my website make me lost about 8 months on my plans. But the situation is better now and I think the next versions will getting out faster.

TV wrote:
3. Would that version of myDVDEdit address the complete DVD-Video Specification? If not, do you have a list of the features that remain, and have an estimate of time and resources necessary to finish a full DVD-Spec version?

As you know, I never saw the DVD-Video Specification. But I think that every things myDVDEdit can do respect these specification. Each features are tested many times and compared with DVD authoring program results. Many professionnals works with myDVDEdit, and if one of them had a problem with, he never let me known.
I can give you a list of what features I will implement in the future.

1) To finish all possible IFO edition (delete PGC, new CELL, duplicate CELL/PGC...) -> version 0.9.7
2) Add/Delete/Split VOBUs. That will be the version 1.0
3) Menu buttons edition (Add/Delete/Setup)
4) Subpicture edition (change bitmap data)
5) Add/Delete streams in VOBUs (really not easy)
6) DVD Text edition, Parental managements.
7) Interleaved Objects management.

I hope to have done point 1 before the end of the year, and point 2, three months later.

TV wrote:
4. Have you looked into the requirements of making myDVDEdit compatible with Apple's Universal Binary Programming Guidelines to enable running on upcoming MacIntel machines?

That will be a other work, and really not easy to do. All information in DVDs are coded into big endiens, all structures, all reads and writes must be changed. In a first time, myDVDEdit will works with Rosetta. It should not be a problem. Then, when I will have a MacIntel (when I will have enough money to buy it), I will do all necessary to make myDVDEdit have universal binary code.

Jerome
TV

PostPosted: Mon 28 Nov 2005, 05:41 Reply with quote

Jérôme,

Yes, I do understand you have primarily worked alone on myDVDEdit. If you want to keep the program essentially as a hobby-project, that's perfectly fine. However, the point of my question was to get an idea from you what it would take to complete a release version of the software IF that task was NOT dependant on the part-time method you've been using. In other words, if you had access to programmers who would work for you, the hardware and development tools, along with other resources necessary to complete myDVDEdit as a commerical product... what would that take and in what period of time?

Regards,

...TV
Jerome
Administrator
Administrator   

PostPosted: Mon 28 Nov 2005, 09:24 Reply with quote

Of course it would depends on how many peoples could work on it and what good experiences in Cocoa they would have. I think, if I could work 8 hours by day on myDVDEdit, it could be finished in 10 months. With a good team, it could be 5 or 6 months.

Jerome
Reply to topic All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Forum Index -> Questions Page 1 of 1

Jump to: