Support myDVDEdit

Register Register

Search Search
FAQ FAQ

--- Links ---
MacEtVideo
VideoHelp
Forum Mac-Video

Emptying trash causes VOB/IFO mismatch during compression??
Forum Index -> Questions
Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chewtoy
Beta tester
Beta tester   

PostPosted: Mon 02 Feb 2009, 20:13 Reply with quote

HansGerber wrote:
If replacing a 100 MB VOB with trailers or extra stuff by a vob file containig just a blank cell will finally work, that's all I need.
Having this functionality enables you to cut the unwanted stuff first and to compress afterwards e.g with Popcorn or another application.

This is one of the main reasons why I use this great program. Yet emptying the trashcan in myDVDEdit can prevent DVD2oneX from compressing the VIDEO_TS folder afterwards. I sometimes get error messages indicating that data/files are missing and the compression cannot be carried out, even though the DVD works perfect in Apple's DVD Player between the steps of myDVDEdit and DVD2oneX. Unfortunately I don't remember the which error message exactly, though it was most likely: "Error adjusting the IFO file. It does not match with the VoB file/For full diskcopy you need to copy all files from the DVD in file mode".

When I re-rip the DVD and use myDVDEdit in the same way as before but without emptying the trash, the compression works fine but the trash is still there when I open the VIDEO_TS folder myDVDEdit. It's a waste of compression time and an unnecessary reduction of picture quality to have DVD2oneX compress the unwanted trash too.

I haven't yet tried compressing using other programs like Popcorn or Toast. Would it make any difference? Or is there certain data from certain domains which should never be deleted from the trashcan? When using myDVDEdit I only delete cells, lines of code and perhaps one or two buttons, but never complete Pgcs, Titles, VTSes or VTS/VMG Menus.

Any suggestions?

myDVDEdit 0.9.10 ( 48 )
DVD2oneX2 v2.0.0
OS X 10.4.11
Jerome
Administrator
Administrator   

PostPosted: Tue 03 Feb 2009, 00:28 Reply with quote

I recently found some bugs in the sector number calculation in myDVDEdit.
Many myDVDEdit traps have been fixed too.
I will propose this new version very soon.

Other point: Every titles must have a cell. Blank cell can be used to have the minimum disk space usage.

Jerome
neville
Advanced Member
Advanced Member   

PostPosted: Tue 03 Feb 2009, 08:57 Reply with quote

Chewtoy wrote:
When I re-rip the DVD and use myDVDEdit in the same way as before but without emptying the trash, the compression works fine but the trash is still there when I open the VIDEO_TS folder myDVDEdit. It's a waste of compression time and an unnecessary reduction of picture quality to have DVD2oneX compress the unwanted trash too.
Did you try DVDRemaster. myDVDEdit will work perfectly well on a DVDRemastered Video_TS folder. Of course, if DVD2oneX is the compressor you're using, you don't get the option of trimming first and then compressing. With DVD2oneX's FD option, everything has to get compressed, before any trimming can get done.
Quote:
When using myDVDEdit I only delete cells, lines of code and perhaps one or two buttons, but never complete Pgcs, Titles, VTSes or VTS/VMG Menus.
Some items are too small to justify deleting. The 4-500MB titles (and larger), that trimming gets done in DVDRemaster right before the compression. The correct work order, IMHO.

neville
Skeeve
Beta tester
Beta tester   

PostPosted: Fri 27 Feb 2009, 23:00 Reply with quote

I think I found the bug.

If you empty the trash, And you first look, what the "cells" tab in "VTS#" shows, you might see something like this:

See: 1.1 is first VOBId, 1.254 next

If you then empty trash you get a confirmation window like this:

See: 1.1 is not present at all

But after deleting, it's gone:

I gues you have one of those naughty, non-tivial (as my Maths Professor called them) +/- 1 problems…
Jerome
Administrator
Administrator   

PostPosted: Fri 27 Feb 2009, 23:05 Reply with quote

Could you send me this project.

Always the same thing, I need to reproduce it to find the bug.

Jerome
Skeeve
Beta tester
Beta tester   

PostPosted: Fri 27 Feb 2009, 23:11 Reply with quote

On it's way…
Chewtoy
Beta tester
Beta tester   

PostPosted: Mon 09 Mar 2009, 08:10 Reply with quote

Skeeve wrote:
I think I found the bug.

Thanks for looking into this. When I have more time on my hands for enduring compression sessions I will test your workaround to see if it solves my problem.
Jerome
Administrator
Administrator   

PostPosted: Mon 09 Mar 2009, 12:31 Reply with quote

Due to the empty cells. It's not DVD compliant

Fixed in the next version (soon, this month)

Jerome
Chewtoy
Beta tester
Beta tester   

PostPosted: Fri 13 Mar 2009, 04:32 Reply with quote

Jérôme wrote:
Due to the empty cells. It's not DVD compliant

Fixed in the next version (soon, this month)

It's not only when there are no cells in the Titles. Also when there are no cells in the VTS Menus and VMG Menu. Emptying the Trash causes the corresponding vobfilesets to be (partly?) deleted. Deleting the last cell in a "VTS Menu #" and emptying the Trash will result in a missing "VTS_0#_0.VOB" file and the DVD project cannot be compressed by DVD2oneX and Toast/Popcorn (though it can still be played in Apple's DVD Player).

The sneaky thing is that if the VMG Menu does not contain any cells in the original, unedited DVD project, myDVDEdit will automatically throw the VobId of the VMG Menu domain into the Trash, without the user noticing! Emptying the Trash (even when the user has just opened the project without editing anything at all) will then cause the "VIDEO_TS.VOB" file to be deleted with a subsequent compression fail:

Exclamation Unable to open vobfileset 0 in folder 'VIDEO_TS'.

Even when users bother to check the Trash first to see what will be deleted, there can be so much data in it that a VMG Menu VobId can easily be overlooked. Surely it would be better if only data that is actively deleted by the user goes to the Trash?

Another thing is that once data is mistakenly put in the Trash, other than using Undo there is no way to get it out of there again. Which is fair enough, but when myDVDEdit puts the VMG Menu VobId in there automatically there is no Undo. So in fact it becomes impossible. When you disable the item in the trash and then click either Cancel or Delete, the next time you open the Trash again, that item you previously had disabled is somehow enabled again and in danger of being deleted after all.

Perhaps the next version could have more pop-up warnings about deleting data and/or the existing ones could have more detailed information. Or may I even dare suggest a pop-up warning that offers to automatically place blank cells in all VMG Menu/VTS/VTS Menus without cells if their vobfilesets threaten to be deleted or corrupted?

Keep up the good work, Jérôme. I can't wait to test the new version!> Very Happy
Jerome
Administrator
Administrator   

PostPosted: Fri 13 Mar 2009, 09:57 Reply with quote

In fact, the trash in myDVDEdit do not have really the same signification as the trash in the finder.
In myDVDEdit, the trash just contains unreferenced cells.
If you delete a cell from a PGC, you just decrement his reference counter and if this one is down to zero, the cell appear in the trash, that's all.
If you want get back a cell from the trash, you just have to add it in a PGC.

They should not be any problem to have a DVD without any VTS_##_0.VOB, that is absolutly DVD compliant. So I dont know why DVD2OneX or Toast do not accept them, but its looks like more a bug in these applications.
On the other hands, it's true that a title must absolutly have one cell, and I could add a warning to prevent that.

Jerome
Reply to topic All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Forum Index -> Questions Page 1 of 1

Jump to: