Support myDVDEdit

Register Register

Search Search
FAQ FAQ

--- Links ---
MacEtVideo
VideoHelp
Forum Mac-Video

16:9 auto letterbox - dictate dvd player own settings ?
Forum Index -> Questions
Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anastasis

PostPosted: Wed 05 Mar 2008, 17:44 Reply with quote

Firstly thanks for all the info i found here although i am not sure i solved my problem yet.

I want my dvds to play correctly on both widescreen tvs and on old 4:3 ones so i followed the instructions in your relevant tutorial where you use myDVDedit to set the aspect to 16:9 auto Letterbox for all VTS files.

Now as i understand it the dvdplayer should adjust the image accordingly depending on what tv its plugged into. I.e. I ll play full 16:9 on a 16:9 Tv and ll letter box with bars on above and bellow the image on a 4:3 tv right?

2 questions:

1) One thing i am curious is how does the dvdplayer know what tv is connected to...?

2) If i change the setting on my dvd from 16:9 to 4:3 and vice versa using the remote control, the DVD i burned after the process with myDVDedit the aspect of the displayed image also changes. Is it not possible to have the DVD disc dictating the dvd player as what aspect it ll playback? I.e. if the inserted disc is all 16:9 material is it not possible to force the dvd player to change its setting to 16:9 in case it had been previously set to 4:3?
You see, i have access to two TV-DVD sets; One with a 4:3 tv and the other with 16:9. The 2 dvd players must be set to 4:3 and 16:9 respectively to correctly play a 16:9 disc (i.e. letter boxed in first case, full 16:9 in the second).

Many thanks in advance
Anastasis
Jerome
Administrator
Administrator   

PostPosted: Wed 05 Mar 2008, 18:10 Reply with quote

anastasis wrote:
1) One thing i am curious is how does the dvdplayer know what tv is connected to...?

It doesn't know. You have to set the correct option in your dvdplayer setup.

anastasis wrote:
2) If i change the setting on my dvd from 16:9 to 4:3 and vice versa using the remote control, the DVD i burned after the process with myDVDedit the aspect of the displayed image also changes. Is it not possible to have the DVD disc dictating the dvd player as what aspect it ll playback? I.e. if the inserted disc is all 16:9 material is it not possible to force the dvd player to change its setting to 16:9 in case it had been previously set to 4:3?
You see, i have access to two TV-DVD sets; One with a 4:3 tv and the other with 16:9. The 2 dvd players must be set to 4:3 and 16:9 respectively to correctly play a 16:9 disc (i.e. letter boxed in first case, full 16:9 in the second).

That is exactly the aspect ratio option is for.
The aspect ratio option is used to indicate to the dvdplayer what is the aspect of the image to playback. As the dvdplayer known what is the TV format. (because you have told) it adjust the image to the format you wanted.

Jerome
anastasis

PostPosted: Thu 06 Mar 2008, 11:28 Reply with quote

Hi thanks for the prompt reply,
Things start to clear now..

So, firstly you need to manually set your DVD player of what your Tv is (i.e. 16:9 or 4:3) which you have to do via your remote control.

Secondly by having the autoletter box flag set with myDVDedit you tell the DVDplayer to play a 16:9 movie in letterbox format when the tv is 4:3 and the DVDplayer is set to 4:3. Otherwise it be squeezed to fit the 4:3 full screen or it wont be squeezed but it ll extend left and right beyond your screen i.e. you miss part of the picture. I am not sure which of the two happens. I ve heard people complaining for the later too..

another thing is, what happens with dvd menus? I guess if you are producing a 16:9 movie and use myDVDedit to auto letterbox flag it then all menus should also be at 16:9 ?
is this correct?

Anyway, sorry if it takes me long to figure all this out but i am new to DVDauthoring..
thanks again
anastasis
aaron
Beta tester
Beta tester   

PostPosted: Sat 26 Apr 2008, 06:18 Reply with quote

It's easiest, and perfectly adequate, to do menus in 4:3 aspect ratio if the video itself is in 16:9 Letterbox. I don't recall the specifics at the moment, but if you use 16:9 Letterbox for menus, you have to have two subpicture streams -- one for 16:9 and one for 4:3 -- so that the buttons will work and display properly in both cases. (It's probably also true if you use 16:9 Pan and Scan, but I'm writing from vague memory here.)
Reply to topic All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Forum Index -> Questions Page 1 of 1

Jump to: