Support myDVDEdit

Register Register

Search Search
FAQ FAQ

--- Links ---
MacEtVideo
VideoHelp
Forum Mac-Video

Correcting *two* different aspect ratios in *one* VTS??
Forum Index -> Questions
Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Uli

PostPosted: Tue 05 Feb 2008, 06:52 Reply with quote

Hi everybody,

I've been a happy, but only very occasional user of myDVDEdit for some time now, using it to fix an annoying issue on a DVD here and there ...

But today I encountered an issue I don't know how to resolve (or if this is even possible).

I got an amateur-produced DVD that mixes up 4:3 and 16:9 aspect ratios. The source material originally is all 16:9, but some material obviously has been letterboxed before the DVD was compiled (and therefore requires an 4:3 aspect ratio setting to play correctly) while other material hasn't (and therefore requires a 16:9 aspect ratio setting). The person who compiled the DVD got this only half-right, so some VTSs have the wrong aspect ratio settings for the material they contain.

Mostly, the different settings occur in different VTSs, and it was easy to fix the wrong ones by using the VTS > Parameters > Aspect popup.

However, there is one case where both a correct and an incorrect aspect ratio are mixed within *one* VTS (VTS_02_1.VOB and VTS_02_2.VOB; the issue is in VTS_02_2.VOB). This VTS has a 4:3 aspect ratio setting on the DVD which is correct for most of the contained material (which is letterboxed). However, the last 4 minutes, obviously taken from another source, are not letterboxed and therefore would require a 16:9 aspect ratio setting to play correctly; with the actual 4:3 aspect ratio setting the picture looks compressed in width.

The material that plays correctly has the VobIds 1.1-1.6; the material that plays incorrectly has the VobId 2.1.

So, the question is: Is there any way to modify the aspect ratio only for the VobId 2.1 material to 16:9, but leave it at 4:3 for VobIds 1.1-1.6 (all within VTS 2)?

Obviously, there seems to be no direct way to do this as the VTS > Parameters > Aspect popup always affects the complete VTS. But I was hoping I could maybe use the same VOB files twice, for two different VTSs with different aspect ratios, or something like that. However, I couldn't come up with a working solution. So I would very much appreciate any hint whether this is at all doable, and if so, how.

Thanks a lot in advance for any info!

Bye

Uli
Jerome
Administrator
Administrator   

PostPosted: Tue 05 Feb 2008, 18:54 Reply with quote

No you cannot.

Aspect is a domain parameter. If you need two videos with a different aspect ratio, they must be in a different VTS.

But you could add commands to jump from the first VTS to a VTSM dummy PGC, and than call the second video (You cannot jump from a VTS to an other directly).

Jerome
Uli

PostPosted: Thu 07 Feb 2008, 21:02 Reply with quote

Jerome,

thanks for your reply!

Jérôme wrote:
No you cannot.

Aspect is a domain parameter. If you need two videos with a different aspect ratio, they must be in a different VTS.

That's what I assumed.

Quote:
But you could add commands to jump from the first VTS to a VTSM dummy PGC, and than call the second video (You cannot jump from a VTS to an other directly).

Could you provide some basic hint how to do that?

That is the solution that I thought might be possible, but couldn't get to work so far. My stumbling points probably are how to create this "dummy PGC" correctly and how to call the second video directly (i.e. jump to that video and not start from the beginning of the VTS all over again).

If you could provide me with some starting point from which I could try to get this to work, this would be much appreciated. Thanks a lot in advance!

Uli
Uli

PostPosted: Fri 08 Feb 2008, 11:48 Reply with quote

Uli wrote:

Could you provide some basic hint how to do that?

That is the solution that I thought might be possible, but couldn't get to work so far. My stumbling points probably are how to create this "dummy PGC" correctly and how to call the second video directly (i.e. jump to that video and not start from the beginning of the VTS all over again).
Uli

To be more precise, my initial problem is the following:

If aspect ratio is a domain parameter, then I would need to create a new VTS, correct? But that's exactly the only thing I cannot find out how to create. myDVDEdit would let me create additional VTS Menus and additional PGCs, but not an additional VTS. So I just don't know how to start.

Uli
Jerome
Administrator
Administrator   

PostPosted: Fri 08 Feb 2008, 14:20 Reply with quote

That is precisely what I am currently working on.

For the moment, you can not add or move a video in a project with myDVDEdit.

No simple solution. Sorry.

Jerome
Uli

PostPosted: Fri 08 Feb 2008, 14:41 Reply with quote

Jérôme wrote:
That is precisely what I am currently working on.

For the moment, you can not add or move a video in a project with myDVDEdit.

No simple solution.

So are you saying that the solution you proposed in your first reply actually won't work if you think about it, or that it would, but is not simple?

Quote:
Sorry.

No need to be sorry, you wrote a fantastic program and did a great service to the community. Very Happy

If it doesn't work that's alright if I know it doesn't and do not have to assume it's because of my stupidity. Rolling Eyes

Uli
aaron
Beta tester
Beta tester   

PostPosted: Sun 10 Feb 2008, 05:13 Reply with quote

Quote:
myDVDEdit would let me create additional VTS Menus and additional PGCs, but not an additional VTS. So I just don't know how to start.

If you don't mind a short detour over the somewhat rocky road of PgcEdit, do the following:

1) Open the VIDEO_TS folder in PgcEdit.

2) Choose Import VTST Titles from the File menu.

3) Choose the .IFO file from the problem Title Set. Then choose to Copy VOB (not Move VOB!) in the dialog box that opens.

4) Choose Save DVD from the File menu and then quit PgcEdit.

5) Open and edit the modified VIDEO_TS folder in myDVDEdit.

I, BTW, have tried this in the Aqua version of PgcEdit (v. 7.4). The UI of the X11 version is supposedly less buggy than that of the Aqua version, but I've been having problems with X11. (I'm running Tiger 10.4.11. Maybe the two elevens are incompatible. Wink )
Uli

PostPosted: Sun 10 Feb 2008, 09:44 Reply with quote

aaron wrote:
If you don't mind a short detour over the somewhat rocky road of PgcEdit, do the following:

Aaron - thanks a lot, that worked like a charm! Very Happy

(BTW, I'm already using Leopard, and the PgcEdit Starter application is completely unusable there, but a simple "% wish PgcEdit.tcl" in Terminal will work just fine (assuming "pgcedit_source" is your current directory)).

One question remains: the affected title set consisted of 2 VOBs, 1GB and 300MB in size. The affected video sequence is completely in the second VOB, so the first VOB was duplicated "unnecessarily". Is there a way to dispose of the duplicate of the first VOB without corrupting the title set structure of my newly created title set? Otherwise the result wouldn't fit on a DVD anymore Sad

Sorry for another dumb question ... Confused
aaron
Beta tester
Beta tester   

PostPosted: Sun 10 Feb 2008, 14:26 Reply with quote

Quote:
One question remains: the affected title set consisted of 2 VOBs, 1GB and 300MB in size. The affected video sequence is completely in the second VOB, so the first VOB was duplicated "unnecessarily". Is there a way to dispose of the duplicate of the first VOB without corrupting the title set structure of my newly created title set? Otherwise the result wouldn't fit on a DVD anymore Sad

Don't think in terms of VOBs! Rather, delete* the unused cells from each of the two copies of the title set. (From one copy, you'll be deleting the cells that are 4:3, and from the other the cells that are 16:9.) Then use myDVDEdit's File -> Empty Trash command** to actually eliminate those cells from the respective VOB's. Your size problem will be solved! Very Happy

* It might be better to replace the unused cells with blank ones, since deleting cells sometimes causes problems.
** Later correction: As Uli points out below, that should be Edit -> Empty Trash!
Uli

PostPosted: Sun 10 Feb 2008, 14:57 Reply with quote

aaron wrote:
Don't think in terms of VOBs! Rather, delete* the unused cells from each of the two copies of the title set. (From one copy, you'll be deleting the cells that are 4:3, and from the other the cells that are 16:9.) Then use myDVDEdit's File -> Empty Trash command to actually eliminate those cells from the respective VOB's. Your size problem will be solved! Very Happy

Ah, I wasn't aware of this possibility; in fact, I tried it earlier on and looked at the size of the VOB files and nothing had changed. This is because you actually have to save your myDVDEdit project afterwards for the changes to become effective. This is not what I would have guessed from the Empty Trash label, since in Mac parlance that's usually an action that is effective immediately (and cannot be undone).

One additional remark for those who read this later on: the menu is actually Edit -> Empty Trash.

So again, thanks a lot! This should be all I need to get this working. Very Happy
Reply to topic All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Forum Index -> Questions Page 1 of 1

Jump to: