Dreaded Zero Cells
Forum Index -> Questions
Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dizzie

PostPosted: Thu 15 Mar 2007, 21:42 Reply with quote

Hi!

Thanks for this wonderful tool!

It looks like this program could remove "Zero Cells". Handbrake/ Mediafork is unable to make MP4s from some of my newer DVDs that supposedly have these zero cells. It seems to throw the program off. The current free version of Mac The Ripper is also unable to cope with these zero cells.

Would it be possible to utilize the process of mounting a DVD with Fairmount that is described in the following thread and then remove the zero cells with myDVDEdit?
http://handbrake.m0k.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=266

If so, a number of us would be excited as myDVDEdit could serve as a wonderful free alternative to DVD2OneX for this purpose, not to mention it's other interesting uses as well!

Thanks in advance for any advice!!!
pixelzombie

PostPosted: Wed 04 Apr 2007, 05:22 Reply with quote

i'd like to know that as well, i can see the zero cells in DTOX but i'm not that familiar with mydvdedit to actually delete the buggers...
Jerome
Administrator
Administrator   

PostPosted: Fri 06 Apr 2007, 17:10 Reply with quote

I'm not sure what you calling "Zero cells".
If it is unreferenced cells, you can delete them by a clic on the trash icon and than selecting the cell you want to delete.

Jerome
dizzie

PostPosted: Thu 19 Apr 2007, 15:10 Reply with quote

Merci beaucoup, Jerome! I'll give it a try. By the way, here is some info on the "zero cells" I'm referring to:

from http://handbrake.m0k.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=266&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc

"Some commercial DVDs are made with empty cells --- cells with nothing in them.

DVD players are smart enough (dumb enough, probably more like it) to ignore or otherwise pass over them, but rippers are not, because rippers aren't playing the video stream but instead attempting to extract each piece of the puzzle.

An empty cell (or zero cell) either confuses the ripper or else slows it way down, and creates a problem later when trying to play it back.

It's a copy-protection tool, in case that isn't obvious.

Some rippers can see empty cells but must be told to ignore them. The most common one for this is DVD2OneX (for Macs, I guess Windows users have their own).

I've also seen (I think) the ability to uncheck empty cells in MacTheRipper but never hear of anyone using it for that. I guess I'm mistaken about MTR's ability there.

Where it gets "interesting" is when an almost-empty cell might still be "empty enough." Most empty cells are in fact 0kb in size; I've read that some are 2-3kb. That said, many DVDs have a few very small cells of about 2-4kb that are not culprits and should still be included in a rip. YMMV, etc. "
Reply to topic All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Forum Index -> Questions Page 1 of 1

Jump to: