Support myDVDEdit

Register Register

Search Search
FAQ FAQ

--- Links ---
MacEtVideo
VideoHelp
Forum Mac-Video

Can the aspect ratio in the VOB files be changed?
Forum Index -> Questions
Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pogopop77

PostPosted: Wed 27 Dec 2006, 13:48 Reply with quote

I am impressed with many of the capabilities of myDVDEdit. However, I haven't been able to solve the problem I am seeing.

I have VIDEO_TS folders which have the correct aspect ratio (16:9) in the IFO files, but an incorrect aspect ratio (4:3) coded into the VOB files themselves (apparently the aspect ratio information exists in both places). If I burn a VIDEO_TS folder like this to a DVD it plays fine in a normal DVD player. The DVD player uses the information in the IFO files, and ignores the information in the VOB files.

However, when I try to edit the VOB file using something like MPEG Streamclip, it picks up the incorrect aspect ratio and squashes the video to 4:3.

Is there a way to change the aspect ratio in the VOB files themselves using myDVDEdit? If not, could this capability be added easily?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

p.s. The reason I have the VIDEO_TS folders with aspect ratios coded differently in the VOB and IFO files, is because I am ripping DVDs which were created with a Sony DCR-DVD403 camcorder. It has a bug in the firmware where it writes the wrong aspect ratio in the VOB.
Jerome
Administrator
Administrator   

PostPosted: Wed 27 Dec 2006, 14:25 Reply with quote

pogopop77 wrote:
Is there a way to change the aspect ratio in the VOB files themselves using myDVDEdit?

Sorry, not yet.

pogopop77 wrote:
If not, could this capability be added easily?

Not really, but it will in the next version, the famous and so expected 1.0.

First beta in january.

Jerome
aaron
Beta tester
Beta tester   

PostPosted: Fri 02 Feb 2007, 10:53 Reply with quote

pogopop77 wrote:
I have VIDEO_TS folders which have the correct aspect ratio (16:9) in the IFO files, but an incorrect aspect ratio (4:3) coded into the VOB files themselves [...]. If I burn a VIDEO_TS folder like this to a DVD it plays fine in a normal DVD player. The DVD player uses the information in the IFO files, and ignores the information in the VOB files.

However, when I try to edit the VOB file using something like MPEG Streamclip, it picks up the incorrect aspect ratio and squashes the video to 4:3.

Are you ultimately using the edited video as part of a DVD? If so, can't you just use myDVDEdit to change the aspect ratio in the final IFO file back to 16:9? Admittedly, you'd have to do the editing while the video appears squashed, but is that the only problem or am I missing something?
pogopop77

PostPosted: Sun 18 Feb 2007, 08:27 Reply with quote

You're probably right, that should work. I guess I'll have to see if I can have Toast (or some similar burning program) generate the DVD files and then edit the IFO prior to burning. I had just been dragging and dropping VOB/MPEG2 files into Toast and having it burn them directly.

Still if the capability to edit the VOB file directly were in myDVDEdit, that would be nice -- editing squashed video is no fun Smile
Reply to topic All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Forum Index -> Questions Page 1 of 1

Jump to: