Forum Mac-Video

Creating new button groups
Forum Index -> Questions
Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
skunkworks

PostPosted: Sun 23 Apr 2006, 13:40 Reply with quote

Hi,

If you create widescreen DVDs using iDVD, it tags menus and submenus as being "16:9 Auto Pan & Scan", and likewise creates only a single button group "Normal, Pan & Scan".

This means that you cannot view your widescreen menus as letterboxed on a 4:3 screen, even if you want them to be letterboxed. Instead, they come out truncated (Pan & Scan).

In the fabulous new myDVDedit button editor, you can add new button groups and create a Letterboxed button group. But it seems you have to manually re-create all the button navigation yourself (ie button actions, color table etc), and do it for EVERY button on EVERY menu. This is very tedious.

Is there any way you can copy existing button navigation, color table and action for a given button group, and copy it all across to a new button group?

Thanks!
Jerome
Administrator
Administrator   

PostPosted: Tue 25 Apr 2006, 05:53 Reply with quote

Hi,

It can be done very easily.

In the IFO tab, change the Aspect field to 16:9 auto Pan&Scan and Letterbox
In the button editor, click on Edit
Click on the small triangle of the Group popup.
Select Automatic

a new group are created and all the buttons of the group are created a positioned to the right position.

Of course, this operation must be repeated with all menus.

Jerome
skunkworks

PostPosted: Tue 25 Apr 2006, 07:35 Reply with quote

Jerome,

Thanks for your quick reply. Maybe I am missing something but when I follow your steps this is what happens:

(a) I change the aspect ratio in the IFO tab then click on "Edit" in the Buttons editor. The existing button group is called "1. Normal, Pan & Scan". When I click the Group popup triangle and click on "Automatic", three groups are created, "1. Normal", "2. Letterbox" and "3. Pan & Scan".

(b) The group "1. Normal" seems OK - colour table is "1", button navigation is correct for each button, and button action is "Jump Title 1" . If I select group "2. Letterbox", colour table is "1", there is no button navigation (all arrows point to blanks) and button action is "Nop". If I select group "3. Pan & Scan" it doesn't stay selected, instead it jumps back to "2. Letterbox".

The "Groups Link" checkbox is checked.

I then clicked on "Cancel" in the button editor, clicked "Copy" (group "1. Normal" selected), then clicked on "Edit", Auto-added the new button groups, selected group "2. Letterbox" and then "Paste" - but that didn't fill in the button navigation or the button action.

Finally, if I "Paste" but then "Cancel" the edit, clicking the "Edit" button again does nothing, you cannot edit the buttons any more.

I have 0.9.8 (33).

Am I doing something wrong, or is there a bug?

Thanks.
Jerome
Administrator
Administrator   

PostPosted: Tue 25 Apr 2006, 14:08 Reply with quote

You right, it's a bug.

I fixe it and let you known.

for the point (a) it's perfectly normal that 3 groups are created. I really dont know how Apple can create only one group for Normal and Pan&Scan. That make no sense.

Jerome
Jerome
Administrator
Administrator   

PostPosted: Tue 25 Apr 2006, 22:03 Reply with quote

Done.

A new build (V34) is available.
Just download it, test it, and tell me is you see an other problem.

If you do not want 3 groups, but just two, do not use the Automatic button, just add a new group and select the LetterBox option of this new group. the rest still done automaticaly if you have check the group link button.

Jerome
skunkworks

PostPosted: Fri 28 Apr 2006, 00:13 Reply with quote

Thanks Jérôme for your very speedy update!

So far things are working although I haven't tried everything. I will test out as much as I can and let you know.

One extra question - for this widescreen DVD, iDVD creates two PGCs for every menu. Have a look at the screen shots:

PGC5 in 16:9 mode: http://members.optusnet.com.au/~brendan.jones/dvd1.jpg
PGC5 in 4:3 mode: http://members.optusnet.com.au/~brendan.jones/dvd2.jpg

PGC6 in 16:9 mode: http://members.optusnet.com.au/~brendan.jones/dvd3.jpg
PGC6 in 4:3 mode: http://members.optusnet.com.au/~brendan.jones/dvd4.jpg

On PGC5 (see screen shot dvd2,jpg), there is a PreCmd:

R0 = videoMode
if (R0 & $0C00) Link PGC 6

Presumably videoMode is the DVD player setting for "4:3 Pan & Scan", "4:3 Letterbox" or "16:9". Which videoMode does $0C00 refer to?

As the button subpictures in both PGCs are currently defined as "Normal, Pan & Scan" I'm trying to work out ehat the correct groups should be, eg should PGC5 be the "Pan & Scan" group and PGC6 be the "Letterbox" group? Which one should be the "Normal" group?

Or do I just create all the groups in all PGCs and everything turns out correctly?

Thanks!
Jerome
Administrator
Administrator   

PostPosted: Fri 28 Apr 2006, 10:15 Reply with quote

Actually, VideoMode (SPRM14) have two role.

Bits 8 and 9 are the current video mode. 0=normal, 1=pan&scan, 2=letterbox. This bits cannot be tested to know what mode will be used, but what is the current mode.

Bits 10 and 11 are the preferred video aspect ratio. 0=4:3, 3=16:9.

Code:
R0 = videoMode

R0 & $0C00 test bits 10 and 11, if these bits are not zero, in other words if the preferred aspect ration is 16:9, the command link to PGC 6.

So PGC 5 is used for 4:3 screen, and PGC 6 is used for 16:9 screen. dvd1.jpeg and dvd4.jpeg cannot appear. I really hate this solution.

Other thing. Normal meens that the picture are not truncated or rescaled, so all 4:3 picture use the normal group, and a 16:9 picture in a 16:9 screen use the normal group too.
the other groups are only used when the picture is in 16:4 and the screen format is 4:3. In this case, the player must choose the mode pan&scan or letterbox, and use the corresponding group.

In your case, as PGC 6 is called when the screen is in 16:4, only the normal will be used.
In PGC5, only the pan&scan group will be used.

Now I see your problem. In PGC 5, you have try to create a new letterbox group, but myDVDEdit have calculated the button position from the normal group. In your case, the normal group does not really exist. myDVDEdit do not really like that.

One solution to resolve your problem is:
- Do not change PGC 6
- in PGC 5 only:
- Remove the normal option in the first group, and close the group editor.
- Reopen the group editor and click on automatic.

If everything alright, 3 groups must have been created. The normal group will never be used but who cares.

A other solution is to never use PGC 5, but only PGC 6.
replace
Code:
R0 = videoMode

by
Code:
Link PGC 6

and click on automatic in the group editor of PGC 6

Jerome
Jerome
Administrator
Administrator   

PostPosted: Sun 30 Apr 2006, 18:37 Reply with quote

Hi skunkworks.
I reconsidered with this question. I do not know why I forgot that, but making a new group is not so easy.

I forgot that to display your menu in letterbox, a new subpicture stream must be created, and that, myDVDEdit cannot do it yet.

Sorry

Jerome
skunkworks

PostPosted: Tue 02 May 2006, 14:18 Reply with quote

Jérôme

Never mind - I understand that myDVDedit doesn't do everything and really generating button subpicture groups is really the responsibility of the DVD authoring program (in this case iDVD) not myDVDedit.

Guess I'll have to put up with 4:3 Pan&Scan menus on widescreen DVDs created by iDVD.

Thanks for all your help!
Reply to topic All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Forum Index -> Questions Page 1 of 1

Jump to: